No! This is a very common question and confuses many new advisors. Many suppliers now require that you have an IATA card, CLIA card or other proof of being a bonafide travel advisor before they will extend discounts to you. This is because of all the “hobbyist” or “card mill” people out there who just pay for an ID card and have no plans to actually sell travel as a career. The IATA card is the gold standard in the travel industry and proves that you are a seller of travel affiliated with an IATAN-accredited agency.As an IC with Gifted Travel Network, we can assist you in securing your own IATA card when you have met the requirements put in place by IATA:IATAN'S Eligibility RequirementsThe applicant must meet ALL following conditions:

  1. Be an owner, employee or an independent contractor of an IATAN accredited location.Be registered with IATAN.3. Devote a minimum of 20 hours per week to the business of selling travel.4. Earn a minimum of $5,000 in salary and/or commissions (actually received after your commission split) in the prior 12 months. (needs to be documented by GRASP or a 1099)5. Be at least 18 years of age.

So, when you hit that $5000 mark in commissions received in a 12 month period, reach out to us with an email and we will verify and add you to our official IATAN list. Then you can apply online for the ID card. Renewal is simple every year after that.